For caregivers and those who have a loved one with dementia, the center suggests:
- If the person has mild dementia, have driving skills evaluated immediately.
- If the person with dementia passes, continue to have driving skills evaluated every 6 months.
- Watch for behavioral signs, such as disorientation and difficulty processing.
- Watch for poor driving behavior, such as drifting or incorrect signaling.
- Encourage the person to drive on familiar roads, and avoid nighttime driving.
The NCC also suggests reducing the need to drive by arranging alternative transportation.