To maintain a healthy weight, how much you eat is just as important as what you eat, says the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.
To manage food portions at home, the agency recommends:
- Do not eat out of the box or bag. Take out a serving and eat it off a plate.
- Avoid eating in front of the TV or while busy with other activities.
- Focus on what you are eating, chew well and enjoy your food.
- Eat fewer high-fat, high-calorie foods.
- Freeze food you won't serve or eat right away.
- Eat meals at regular times.
- Buy low-calorie snacks.